Finding Guardian's Passion

The Guardian type most driven to show some type of leadership is the Supervisor (ESTJ). Many seek a career where they can either run their own business, or move up the ladder to positions of influence. Those who do not find this opportunity through work may show leadership in a volunteer position. Others are driven to give service to the community in such areas as government employee, military or police officer. Some are drawn to more technical positions such as engineer, or computer analyst. Still others find their sense of belonging in the professional community by becoming a dentist, judge, or physician. Says Gordon, "It took me a while to find the right place for me. After a bad car accident, I changed my focus and eventually became a building contractor where I could call more of my own shots."



The Guardian type most driven to perfectionism and detail is the Inspector (ISTJ). They are attracted to fields where accuracy and precision is needed. They are often found in business and/or finance in positions such as accountant, insurance underwriter, office manager, or bank examiner. Like the Supervisors, they may find their niche in civil service as a detective or an IRS agent. Professional positions in teaching or medicine and legal and technical occupations are also attractive. Says Benita, "I found that I wanted to work in a position where I had the time to make things right. As an estate planner, I enjoy helping people work toward a safe and secure future."


The Guardian type known as the Provider (ESFJ) is sometimes known as the "Santa Claus" personality since they are generally well-liked and notice whenever situations become "naughty or nice." They provide for the welfare of many and usually show well-developed social skills. They are happiest in positions where they need to deal with people. It is not uncommon to find them in health care, as a physician, nurse, or respiratory therapist. They also can be attracted to the field of education, social service, or religion. In business they may be a retail owner, receptionist, real estate agent, or sales representative. The common theme is their service to others. Says Alice, "As a teen I did hospital volunteer work, but decided I preferred education so got my teaching degree. I've been teaching elementary school for 5 years. I love helping children to learn."


The last Guardian type is the Protector (ISFJ). This is the Guardian least likely to seek positions of leadership since they may feel uncomfortable in the lime-light. They are often seen as the people who do whatever is necessary to keep things running smoothly. They do their best to prevent problems. Like the Provider, they can be attracted to fields in medicine, education or social service. In business, positions that combine some type of social interface with time alone are best for them. If they choose technical positions, they prefer ones with at least some independence, such as electrician, or photographer. Says Patrick, "I was attracted to portrait photography because I am able to help people look their best and celebrate significant times in their lives. I take time to create the best portrait I can."